Saturday, October 21, 2006

respect for all faiths



"I consider myself as someone who is a devout follower of the Buddha Shakyamuni.
I can actually claim that my admiration for the Buddha is grounded in a genuine
conviction based upon understanding of the essence of his teachings. I also feel
that at least in me there is the perfect realization of taking refuge in the Buddha,
Dharma and Sangha. So this is the case of my own personal belief as a committed
practicing Buddhist.

But at the same time when I look at other faith traditions such as Judaism, Christianity,
Islam, Hinduism and other major world religions, I have a profound sense of admiration and
reverence for them. This is because each of the great spiritual traditions has served the spiritual
needs of millions of individuals in the past, they continue to do so and they will continue in the
future. They provide spiritual solace and inspiration as well as a deep sense of fulfillment of
peoples’ spiritual needs. In a sense these are very powerful and profound methods for other
sentient beings to bring about the fulfillment of their spiritual aspirations. They are in a sense
sources of profound benefit to millions of individuals.

So when I look at these other faith traditions from this angle, my admiration and reverence for
these traditions tremendously increases. One of the aspects this reflects is the diversity and
multiplicity of the mental inclinations, spiritual inclinations and mental dispositions and interests
of sentient beings."


The Dalai Lama at Illinois 1999
Picture: The Dalai Lama at the Western Wall in Jerusalem (www.guysen.com)

No comments: