Saturday, June 02, 2007

The Gethsemani Encounter



A dialogue on the Spiritual Life by Buddhist and Christian Monastics, Spring 1996

HH Dalai Lama in his tribute to Thomas Merton:
"As for myself, I always consider myself as one of his (Merton) Buddhist brothers. Since my meeting with him (in 1968), so often when I examine myself, I really follow some of this examples. And so for the rest of my life, the impact of meeting him will remain until my last breath."

Final Reflections by Diana Eck:
"The diversity of streams of traditions, the richness of traditions that has flowed from these two teaching sources - Buddhism and Christianity - present us with many varieties of monastic life. We see here that they are really living traditions. Thomas Merton wrote: Living is not thinking but the constant adjustment of thought to life, life to thought, in such a way that we are always growing, always experiencing new things in the old, old things in new. Life is always new."


The Gethsemani Encounter @ Amazon.com

HH Dalai Lama visits Gethsemani

Merton & Buddhism: Realizing the Self (New Book @ Amazon.com)

No comments: