Thursday, June 07, 2007

is there room in yr mind?



Once, there was a young monk who was very anxious to become enlightened.
He studied and practised relentlessly in a number of monasteries for many years.
His mind was full of desire to be enlightened, full of the methods he had learned, and full of anxiety.
After visiting many monasteries, he was told of a very wise and accomplished old monk, who was highly respected by all who knew him.
So the young monk went to stay with the old monk, hoping to learn from him the correct and the fast way to enlightenment.
He imitated the old monk in every possible aspect. But after three years, nothing happened.
Then, one day, the young monk learned that the old monk was gravely ill and probably would die.
The young monk became very upset and thought, "I have spent three years here and he hasn't taught me any way to reach enlightenment. If he dies, how will I find anyone to teach me?"
So the young monk went to the master with a knife. He pointed the knife at the old monk, who lay seriously ill on his mat.
The young monk said to him, "Reverend master, for three years I have served you, hoping you would tell me the way to enlightenment, but you have not done so. Now you are very ill and this is probably my last chance. You must tell me the way to enlightenment now, or I will kill you."
The old monk looked at the young one and sighed, "My dear brother, even if I have something to teach you, where is the room in your mind to receive it?"


Teachings of Dr C. T. Shen, Chuang Yen Monastery

No comments: